Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The racket of modern medicine

The more I read and the more I experience, the more I doubt traditional medicine.

I have spent most of my 31 years with one ailment or another: allergies, asthma, constant recurrences of croup (as a child) and bronchitis (as I grew up and into adulthood), severe acid reflux (Gastroesophogal Reflux Disorder, or GERD) and a herniated disc, to name a few.  Needless to say, I am no stranger to traditional medicine.

I also think it has a very valid place, too.  Have an emergency?  By all means, go to the hospital and get 24-hour, pill-popping care.  You can always fix the problem later, as long as you are alive.  And, sometimes, you need to treat the symptoms until you feel well enough to try a more homeopathic solution to the problem.

But modern medicine typically targets symptoms, which serves one purpose: to keep you coming back.  After all, medicine is a business, and they want repeat customers.  If you are healthy, they never get your money.

Go ahead, call me a cynic.  But I have spent my life feeling better instead of being better.

Case in point: the way I have been feeling lately as a result of GERD.I have been seeing doctors for eight years about it, and the best any ever did was prescribe Nexium.  If you want to know how that worked out, go read my previous two posts.

This is just a rant.  But I do want to get everyone to see the point here: make sure that, when talking to a doctor, you are clear that you want to tackle the cause, not the smptoms.

I will post more on this...um...eventually.  Gotta be careful; the Big Medicine Syndicate may send someone to break my knees if I yell too loud too often.  Or at least have someone threaten me with unauthorized colonoscopies or something like that.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Amen and Amen!!!... our country is treating so many symptoms, only to create more symptoms, and NEVER finding themselves truly well... ant the pharmaceutical companies are thriving because of it!! I do believe they serve a purpose in an emergency, but then it's time to allow our bodies to do what they were created to do - heal themselves through proper care and nutrition.

    ReplyDelete