Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Want my Dadgum Coffee.

There is a reason coffee is so prominently featured on this blog.  It makes the whole world better.  It is the drink of many kings, the second- most traded commodity behind oil and, well, really darn good.

Clearly, if coffee's primary goodness -- that would be caffeine, for the uninitiated -- is part of this blog's name, then it must be important to me.

It is.

Water to a fish.

Air to a mammal.

Bacon to almost any meal.

Caffeine to Mike.

It really is that important.  Headaches magically melt away in the presence of caffeine.  I can function after the first cup of Joe.  I am human after two.  It's bliss.

So when I have to start my day without it, things go to crap.  Instantly.  Wholely.

This morning was one of those days.  And it started with needing gas.  All the pumps were occupied and there was a line.  At 7:30am.  And I had a chiropractic appointment at 7:45.  I got in line and waited, knowing that afterward I would be able to rush into the store and get my morning cup.

It's never that simple.

I went inside,  knowing I could still make it if I was done in two minutes.  I should have smelled trouble, though when they were out of 24-ounce cups.  Not that it mattered -- they were out of non-flavored regular.  I don't do decaf before 5:00pm.  In fact, I generally refer to decaf as "Why Bother?".

I grumbled, sat the cup with a few drops in it on the counter, and left.  How could the morning get any worse?

Like this!

I pulled up to the intersection with Capital Blvd. and moved to the right lane to get a clean takeoff around the slowpoke ahead of me when the light turned green, being the first car in line.  That person chose, at the last minute, to move to the turn lane,  nullifying my lane change.  Oh well, no biggie.

Biggie.

The light changed and Capital began moving.  Then they stopped, and the turn lanes on my street went.  Then opposing traffic went.

But my light never changed.  Capital then went again.

Then the entire cycle repeated.  Twice.

Finally I chose to make a right and go down one intersection.  I called the doctor and alerted them to my impending late arrival.  When I arrived the good doc offered me a shot of his organic dark roast from his Thermos, largely saving the day.

The moral of the story though is don't get between me and my dadgum coffee, or my day will go to pot in a fireball's hurry.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...Mike! And that my friend is why I have reverted back to making my coffee in the evening before I go to bed and setting the pot to auto-drip about 10 minutes before my alarm goes off. Some mornings my wonderful wife delivers a cup to me before I can hit snooze a second time! Now THAT is how to start your morning! My feet don't even hit the cold carpet before I get my first sip! If you need a new fancy drip brew, try Givalia as they seem to give away coffee makers like they are going out of style. I hope tomorrow is better for you. I'll be sure to think of you as I'm sipping from my cup before I even hit the showers!

    ReplyDelete